File recovery vs. Storage Spaces recovery
For any true statement from the following list, add one point for full-scale
Storage Spaces recovery.
- You formatted a thinly provisioned space.
- You do not know what type of provisioning was used.
- You deleted a large amount of data, more than 256 MB, from a thinly provisioned space.
- In control panel of Storage Spaces you see that allocated size of the space is 1..2 GB or significantly less than expected.
- You deleted a space or an entire pool.
- In a Storage Spaces control panel there are error messages like
"Unrecognized configuration; reset drive" or "Inaccessible; check the Physical drives section", and the pool or space is listed red.
For any true statement from the following list, add one point for a regular file recovery.
- Disk Management reports RAW file system.
- You formatted a space with fixed provisioning or deleted files from a space with fixed provisioning.
- You deleted a small amount of data, 256 MB or less, from a space.
- In control panel of Storage Spaces you see that allocated size of the space is as expected.
Tally the results and start with an option which scored more points.
This does not guarantee the correct choice, but is nevertheless a good initial guess.